Coming Soon to the York Branch YMCA!
Pedal for Parkinson’s is a 12-week indoor group cycle class for adults diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease.
Research conducted at the Cleveland Clinic showed a 35% reduction in symptoms by the simple act of pedaling a bicycle at a rapid pace – optimally, 80-90 revolutions per minute. While cycling is not a cure for Parkinson’s disease, there is compelling evidence to show that it does make a real difference for many who try it.
Classes are designed to
- Empower people with Parkinson’s disease
- Optimize participant physical function
- Improve quality of life
- Help delay the progression of symptoms
- Support research dedicated to prevention and treatment of Parkinson’s disease
Who can participate? Participants who:
- Are diagnosed with Idiopathic Parkinson’s disease
- Complete and provide a signed consent form and a medical clearance form
- Agree to periodically monitor progress
Parkinson’s patients with the following medical conditions are not eligible for this program:
- Cardiac or pulmonary disease
- Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus
- Uncontrolled hypertension or stroke
- Other medical conditions that make exercise dangerous.
Contact Heather Moore, Program Coordinator, for more information. 717-843-7884 x248 [email protected]